This is not an attempt to troll or cause controversy. Instead, this is meant to finally bring us together on the same page.
I understand RAW is not an acronym but I prefer using RAW versus raw to denote the difference between a file format that allows you to use and see the RAW sensor data versus the raw footage from any codec/camera.
Also, this convention is used by major cinema and photo camera companies.
- RED refers to their format as REDCODE RAW. Source: http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/redcode-file-format
- ARRI refers to their format as ARRIRAW. Source: http://www.arri.com/camera/alexa/workflow/working_with_arriraw/arriraw/format/
- Blackmagic Design refers to their format as RAW. Source: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/techspecs
- Canon refers to their format as RAW. Source: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/image_compression/file_types_raw_sraw_and_jpeg.do
- Nikon refers to their format at NEF/RAW. Source: http://imaging.nikon.com/history/basics/26/01.htm
I humbly ask that the DSLR and Magic Lantern community start using this convention as well.
This Post Has One Comment
Pingback: The Magic Lantern Missing Link | planet5D DSLR video news and more!