Ok, well, I’m not entirely sure if this is Jerry Seinfeld’s secret to success but it probably has helped a lot. It has certainly helped me. This was shared with my by my friend, Jacob Johnson and I have given it a go. At the time of this writing, I have almost 30 consecutive days of hitting my writing goals. If you are an aspiring writer, you know how challenging it can be to write this much and this consistently.
Here’s Seinfeld’s secret as told to me:
- Get a calendar
- Meet your writing goal for the day
- Write a big red X on the day in the calendar
- Try to create as long a “chain” of X’s as possible
It is such a simple tool and it works.
Here are some tips I have worked out that help me:
- Keep your writing instrument next to your bed (in my case, my laptop)
- Have your writing instrument ready to go (my laptop is sleeping with my writing program on, so I just flip it open and write)
- Write the very first thing in the morning when you wake up, even before going to the bathroom
- Keep the calendar and red sharpie next to your bed
- Use the Timed Writing technique to power through “writer’s block”
- Create an editorial calendar with pre-determined topics that you will write about
- Choose a task size that you can complete every day
- Do NOT check your email, internet, other blogs, Facebook, etc.
- Try to make as long a chain as possible
- Take a moment to reflect on what you are grateful for
- Have fun with it
With this technique I have done the following:
- Wrote 1 complete draft of a treatment for my next feature screenplay
- Wrote half of the second draft of the above treatment
- Did the exercises for Double Your Traffic in 30 Days
- Did the exercise for Double Your Conversions in 30 Days
- Wrote at least one blog post for this site
- Wrote three short films
Good luck and let me know how you do!